Usually, Friday the 13th is a good day for me. Last week, not so much.

On Thursday, I emailed the search chair at Sucktown U to ask about the status of the search, since she’d told me that I would hear back from her by Wednesday. Friday morning, I woke up at 5:30 to get out of the door by 6:30 AM to catch an 11 AM flight out of Newark to go to Huge National Conference. Upon checking my email, I noticed she’d responded. Due to some administrative and procedural issues, they ended up not being able to hire anyone, and will have to re-list next year. Damn.

Not a good way to start off the day. I finished getting ready, and drove the 3 hours to Newark to catch my flight. On the way there, Spouse called, and we proceeded to have an argument as I was battling morning commuter traffic into NYC and environs. Good times.

As I was waiting in the airport, I received an e-mail from the dean at Farflung U. There had been a scheduling conflict, and my Skype interview w/ faculty and grad students was postponed until at least the week of the 23rd. This, of course, meant that there was no way I was even going to meet with them, much less receive any kind of offer, before my offer at NJU expired.

I caught my first connecting flight to Minneapolis, and when I landed, I was greeted with an e-mail from the committee chair from Decent State University (the place that had rejected me last month). She told me that the search committee was going to meet me at their table at the HNC Career Center. Um, wait, what?! It costs $40 to register for that, and I sure as hell wasn’t going to pay that for one preliminary conference interview.  Yet another TT option down the drain.

This was all too much for me, and I ended up on the phone with the Spouse in tears in the middle of the airport. I knew at that point, that I was just done. No way of getting a TT position this year. No more dreams of an academic career. Done.

My flight to Portland was uneventful, but then my final flight to Vancouver was delayed by nearly 3 hours. As a result, I did not even land in Vancouver until after 11 PM Pacific, which is of course 2 AM my time. I had been up since 5:30 AM and had a hell of a day.

I finally got to my hotel around 12:40 AM, and found that my perfume bottle had broken in my suitcase and spilled perfume everywhere. I was particularly upset because I’d bought that perfume in Turkey. A fitting end to the day, really.