So, I’m going into virtual hiding for a few weeks. No blogging, no Gchat (horrors!!), and…wait for it…no Facebook. I feel like I’m at the point where I’ve got so much work to do that these activities can’t possibly contribute to my productivity. Besides, I need some excuses to stop staring at illuminated rectangles every now and then.
In addition, I’m curtailing my “real” social life, if you can even call it that. I figure those who know me and understand my predicament will be cool about it and those who don’t obviously don’t deserve my time. I’ve got a couple of family obligations and a few pre-planned friend obligations, but I’m not committing to anything beyond that.
Why, you ask? (All 4 of you!) In the next 2-3 weeks, I need to accomplish the following:
- Grade midterm exams for 3 sections, about 100 students total
- Grade essays for students who don’t meet the cutoff grade for the exam
- Finish writing my first draft (I probably have about another 15 pages to go)
- Get out the majority of my job application packets
- Work on a conference proposal to send out by the end of the month
- Get cracking on laying the groundwork for a study I’d like to start by the end of next month
I feel like my progress is being hindered by the insane number of distractions in my life, and so I’m taking a proactive approach to eliminating them. It may be extreme, but a lot of these tasks have very serious and direct implications for my (and my spouse’s) future. I owe it to both of us to get my shit done.