There’s nothing better than a good night’s sleep in your own bed after being away for nearly 2 weeks and traveling nearly 5000 miles. It helps if you have a brand new memory foam mattress topper to enhance the experience. After a long day of driving, we got home at nearly 10 last night, and I couldn’t wait to get that sucker on the bed and test drive it. It was every bit as great as I’d hoped it would be. I fear that getting excited over things like this indicates that I’m getting old.

The rest of the week will be spent cleaning up around the house, celebrating the New Year, and getting back in to the swing of things. I haven’t laid an eye on an article in nearly 2 weeks, and I have a lot on my plate for the next month, particularly if I want to go to that conference in the Netherlands. Work will also be hellacious because we’ll be trying to assign a schedule for all of the mentors for the coming semester. My workout today really highlighted how lazy I’ve been since the break began, and the fact that I’m coming down with something doesn’t help. I’m going to drink a ton of hot liquids in hopes of staving off the inevitable (?), or at least soothing my scratchy-ass throat.

As far as the holidays go, I got some cool stuff, mostly money. My holidays technically aren’t over yet because I’ve yet to exchange presents with one of my aunts, my dad, and my maternal grandmother (not the one who I visited in Arizona last week). Prolonging the joy and all that jazz. One funny thing did happen…the spouse left his wallet on top of the car whilst pumping gas on Christmas Eve in some small town in Central Missouri, and it flew off the car as we drove off. A few days later, he realized what he’d done, and performed the requisite “I lost my wallet” rituals of canceling cards. On our way back home, we stopped at the same gas station and started combing the area in hopes of finding it, each of us on opposite sides of the road. As I was walking by a bank, something caught my eye. A closer look revealed it was just a scrap of plastic. I kept walking, and a few feet later I saw IT. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I opened it, saw that all the contents were there, and then yelled, ran, and generally danced around like a lunatic. The scene was surely entertaining to passing motorists, but we found the damn thing! While replacing the credit/debit cards is kind of a pain, he’s been spared the annoyance of renewing his drivers licence, faculty ID, and losing $50 cash. The wallet stayed there by the roadside in the mud and gravel for nearly 4 days and remained undisturbed. I would like to credit the honest folks of Vienna, MO, but the more likely explanation is that no one really walks by that stretch of road, therefore it would not be seen.

Life is a funny, funny thing!